Applications open for COVID-19 Emergency Community Support Fund
Vulnerable populations across Canada continue to be disproportionately affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Marginalized groups, youth, children and the elderly, essential workers, and newcomers are just some of the communities that are facing increased challenges right now.
Launched on May 19, 2020, the Government of Canada’s new Emergency Community Support Fund (ECSF) aims to provide additional and much-needed assistance to charities and non-profit organizations serving vulnerable populations.
The Government of Canada is flowing funds through national networks, including Community Foundations of Canada, United Way Centraide Canada and the Canadian Red Cross.
Cambridge & North Dumfries Community Foundation is proud to be working with Community Foundations of Canada and the Government of Canada to deliver funding locally in Waterloo Region to ensure that our most vulnerable citizens are safe and healthy. Through the ECSF, we will be investing an additional $254,000 towards local charities and qualified donees supporting vulnerable populations.
We are working together with KWCF and UWWRC
Since there is overlap in funding eligibility, Cambridge & North Dumfries Community Foundation (CNDCF), Kitchener Waterloo Community Foundation (KWCF) and United Way Waterloo Region Communities (UWWRC) are working together. We will be jointly reviewing applications to ensure we are coordinating and aligning funding to flow ECSF support to those organizations who need it most right now. Together, we have approximately $2.25 Million to distribute across Waterloo Region prior to July 27, 2020.
Applications opened on May 19, 2020. Our Community Foundation has granted the full funding available to our communities through the ECSF. We are unfortunately no longer accepting applications. Since the start of the pandemic, charities and non-profit organizations have been leading the charge to assist those who need it most in the fight against COVID-19. We know the need for funding is still significant. If you would like to be advised should additional funding become available through ECSF, please call our office and we will be pleased to add you to our distribution list.
You can apply for funding between June 22 and July 7 through United Way WRC as long as it is not for a project already funded through the ECSF. Please visit their website to understand their application process.
If you are interested in applying for funding through the Canadian Red Cross, here is a link to their site that includes their application.
If your organization is not a Registered Charity, but is an Incorporated Not-for-Profit, please apply for funding through the Canadian Red Cross, where you will find more details and the application on their website.
Vulnerable Populations include
Children, Youth or Elderly
- Children and youth (ages 0-29)
- Youth ageing out of care
- Seniors and Elders
- People experiencing homelessness
- People struggling with addiction
- People living with mental illness
- People with low-income or living in poverty
- Persons with disabilities (in and not in care)
- Workers who are vulnerable (essential, temporary foreign, those in the informal labour market)
Populations Requiring Specific Care or Supports
- People experiencing domestic or gender-based violence
- People living in group homes or supportive living (under the age of 55)
- Prison populations (detained and incarcerated)
- Students (post-secondary)
Marginalized Communities in Canada
- Official Language Minority Communities (OLMCs)
- Women and girls
- Members of LGBTQ2s+ communities
- Newcomers (Permanent and temporary residents including immigrants and refugees)
- Racialized people (Arab, Black, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Latin American, South Asian, Southeast Asian, West Asian, Other racialized groups)
- Indigenous people (First Nations, Métis, Inuit)
If you would like to learn more about the Emergency Community Support Fund, please contact us at 519-624-8972 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Emergency Community Support Fund